Thursday, January 4, 2007

Windy City? Try Rainy CIty

DATELINE: PRAIRIE VIEW, IL

Miles today: 395 in 8 hours of driving


Why, yes, I'm feeling much better today. Thank you for asking.

As you recall, yesterday I told y'all about how I was feeling ill and had to be relieved of my load. Well, after a good night's sleep, I woke up feeling much better. Still a couple of "twinges" in my stomach, but my energy was back and I was ready to go.

Today's assignment was to drag an empty trailer to the Chicagoland area from just north of Columbus, OH. OK, no problem, and no glitches. HALLELUJAH! (So long as you don't count rain, heavy rain. I saw Noah out selling his blueprints along the road.) I got that thing to the destination, which was a USA Truck yard in a southern Chicago suburb. Once there, I "phoned home" (messaged dispatch that I had arrived) and awaited my next assignment. After waiting about an hour or so, they finally sent it to me: a pickup tomorrow morning about 20 miles south of where I was. Well, I didn't want to sit overnight in a fenced yard with no food or bathroom services, so I opted to head out to a truck stop for the night. Happily, it turns out there are two truck stops at the exit I need to get off the highway to get to tomorrow's pickup. Sadly, even though it was still just 6:00-ish, both were already jammed with trucks. So I hopped back on the freeway and headed south, where within just a few miles I found a rest area here in Prairie View with an open parking space. SOLD!

OK, food service at rest areas is somewhat limited, so 2 single-serve bags of chips and a pack of Dolly Madison Devil's Food Zingers made quite the tasty--and oh so nutritious--dinner. Oh well, at least I had a good lunch today--honey-sesame chicken and lo-mein noodles. I'll be sure to get some good food for breakfast tomorrow, too. Anyway, at least I have a campsite not too far from my morning appointment. Now if I can manage NOT to sleep through my alarm in the morning, I'll be good to go.

Oh, I didn't mention where I'll be taking this next load. It's going to the lovely and scenic Sulphur Springs, Texas. Wish I had a camera so I could take some pictures. ;-)

I'm sure I've bored you enough by now, so I'll wrap up for tonight. All my best to y'all who continually subject yourselves to my rantings here. You have my absolute thanks. As always, keep on truckin'.

5 comments:

Nancy R. said...

Yea, I'm glad you're better. Vending machine dinner, yum yum. Bet you missed Texas - lucky you, you're heading back! Now, stay healthy, okay?

Jim Robertson said...

Look at the bright side. Vending machine meals probably beat an MRE.
Be safe out there.
Jim the Baritone

hrr said...

You should get a small microwave and fridge/freezer for the back of your rig, if there's room. Then you can eat Meijer 49 cent frozen pizzas, Easy Mac, or Campbell's soup cups. At least they beat Vending machine meals. :-)

Heidi

MrMiggle said...

was also going to suggest the fridge/microwave solution. also think you will find a toaster oven handy
Sulpher Springs sounds nice, enjoy your trip

Smudman said...

Glad you're feeling better! On my way home from Cincinnati this evening, I was wondering if you're addicted to coffee yet. It has tons more caffeine than diet coke and still no calories and tastes better in the morning -- at least to me!!! I'll bet you can have a nice coffee maker in that cab, too! Have a great ride to Texas!