Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Another 2-Day Update

DATELINE: BEAVERDAM, OH

Miles Today: 454

Once again I have to explain my lack of update yesterday. It was one of "those" days. (If you're a regular reader of this site, you know what I mean.) The day started out OK enough, if a bit early (at midnight). I took my time to have something to eat (one of those "Heater Meals" that heats itself up), check my e-mail, and make sure I was awake and ready to go. At 1:30 I went on-duty, fueled up my truck, found the trailer I was to haul, and got on the road at about 1:45. (Remember I was starting from USA Truck's Roanoke, VA terminal.) I made it to the customer site in Winchester, VA in plenty of time (before 6:00), backed into the dock successfully (if just a wee bit off from straight) and everything there went just fine. I then headed up he road a bit to a truck stop for some real breakfast and to wait for my next assignment. Still so far, so good. The assignment came...pick up a load in eastern Maryland. Still no problem, except that the pickup would be shortly before my 14 hour window for the day would run out. But OK, I could get there early; it was only about 2-1/2 hours away, and I had 4-1/2 hours left.

When I got to the pickup site is when the fun started. I discovered a couple of flat tires on my trailer. To make this long story short, I picked up up the load (backed into the dock for them to load up the trailer) then headed 25 miles up the highway to a truck stop that my company referred me to to get the tires fixed. The place was a zoo. Several other trucks waiting in line for service, so I wound up there for over 5 hours. Of course, by the time my tires were fixed, the truck stop's parking spots were all full, so I had to hit the road to find another truck stop or rest area with an open spot. I found one at a rest area about 60 more miles away. At least it was in the direction my load needs to go...to Paw Paw, MI. So by the time I hit that rest area, about 9:45 p.m., I was just too tired (no pun intended) to haul out the laptop and write about it. Hence no update yesterday.

As for today, I got up and hit the road before 8:00. Nothing but driving (and eating and fueling) today, so happily no glitches to report. I did stop a little early--5:30 p.m.--in order to get a parking spot at the Flying J truck stop here. That worked out perfectly. I also took the opportunity to get a shower and do some laundry, so I'll need to wrap this up so's I can get to bed. I'll need to get up early in the morning to hit the road around 4:30 to ensure I reach the delivery appointment on time.

Thanks once more for your rapt attention and commenting. Keep those coming, and keep on truckin'

2 comments:

Nancy R. said...

Ooh, you had a shower, even. Life is good in Beaver Dam, OH! Enjoy a day of clean, spring-time fresh driving tomorrow. See you soon, yes?

hrr said...

I've often seen those truck-stop showers and laundry machines. So how are they? How do they compare to, say, the showers at our favorite MI State Parks?

Keep on truckin'. I'm sure it'll get easier as you gain experience. :-)