Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Oh, The Irony

DATELINE: RUSSELLVILLE, AR

Miles Today: 198 in 3 ;-) hours of driving

Do you remember from one of my earlier posts when I explained the D.O.T. regulations regarding hours of service for commercial drivers? I'm running smack dab into one now. That is the rule that drivers cannot be on duty for more than 70 hours in any 8 consecutive days. Well, after yesterday, I had 3 hours available for today or else I would exceed my 70 for the last 8 days. Hence the short drive today. I love the irony: they day I'm most well-rested (I did sleep well last night due to my excessive fatigue), I have to stop after only 3 hours. Fortunately, I get 11.75 hours back tomorrow as that day I worked 11.75 hours last week "rolls off" the count. That's good 'cuz I have a long drive (another 350 miles or so) to reach my delivery appointment in the afternoon. Then they'll find me another load to pick up and haul home.

Yes, I said "home". The day I requested to be home next is Friday (remember, I get 1 day at home for every 7 on the road, with stays on the road going from a minimum of 14 to a maximum of 35 consecutive days), so my dispatcher told me he'll get me a load going from OK to MI. The "fun" part will be seeing if I can make the distance--from Lawton, OK to Ann Arbor, over 1,000 miles--in time, considering my 70 hour problem. After 11.75 hours tomorrow, the next 3 days will give me 6, 8.5, and 12 hours, so with so many miles to go, I may be getting home early Saturday morning rather than Friday. That would figure, eh?

So for now I'm holed up in my cab at a Flying J alongside I-40 passing the time. I plan to hit the road at 6:00 a.m. tomorrow in order to make my delivery appointment. But for now I'll fire off this posting, go through my e-mail, and take care of other business.

Thanks once more for reading, and keep the truckin' on.

3 comments:

Nancy R. said...

Maybe you should leave the truck at a rest stop and thumb your way back home. That might be faster. Enjoy your enforced relaxation, anyway.

Unknown said...

I am trying to get a new Flying J approved on the West Side of Michigan near Holland, MI and could use input from some real truckers in regards to a few things:
1. the quality of Flying J vs. other truck stops.
2. the crime noticed at Flying J vs. other truck stops, and lastly,
3. the availability of qulaity truck stops for truckers like yourself to stop and rest and get some good food and rest.

Thanks for your help. You can email me directly at mdevries@atwell-hicks.com

Mike DeVries

hrr said...

So... Have you looked into a microwave and/or fridge yet? I actually have both leftover from college, if you want 'em. Give me a call.

Ahh, the wonders of being freshly married. :-)

Heidi

Mike -
I'm not a trucker, but my husband and I do a LOT of cross-country driving. (My 4-year old car has 105,000+ miles on it already) We try to stop at the Flying J's rather than anywhere else when we're on the road.