Saturday, January 13, 2007

Made It

DATELINE: HOME!

Yes, it's true! I made it home last night after the 11-hour drive from Sullivan, MO. Thankfully I got up and started driving early, so I reached my parking spot (a truck yard near the Detroit Metro Airport) around 6:00 p.m. Pardon me for not posting last nght, but I decided to take it easy and re-acclimate to my family--well, my wife and youngest daughter, anyway--and get to bed early instead of composing a new update. Anyway, I did make it home safely, so you can rest easy about that.

My delivery appointment for my load is on Tuesday morning about 3 hours away from my truck's parking place. I'll go get my truck Monday afternoon and drive to a truck stop nearby the delivery in time for me to get my 10-hour break before making the delivery. I don't want to wait 'til Tuesday morning to pick up the truck and make the drive just in case of unforseen problems (such as the yard not being open that early). So I'll have a good 2-1/2 days off.

It is good to be home, though today's duty was not what I would have preferred to do. If you've been reading all along, you know that I was headed home for a memorial service today. (See my "Tribute" post from last month.) Don't get me wrong, I would not have missed this celebration of a dear friend's life for any reason at all, I just wish it hadn't been necessary. But the service was wonderful; full of beautiful music and warm remembrances of Dr. Len Riccinto, a man who touched and enriched literally thousands of lives. If you met the man, you were his friend. We'll all miss him.

I'll end today's update here. It's been a long two-plus weeks and an emotional day. Thanks for reading, please add your comments, and keep on truckin'.

4 comments:

All Things Fundraising said...

Good to see you yesterday (Sat) at Len's memorial service. That was an amazing demonstration of everything good! What a leader and example Len was to all.

We are enjoying reading your blog from day to day, keeping up with your travels.

--John F.

Jim Robertson said...

It was good to see you yesterday. I half expected major bags under your eyes, but you looked none-the-worse for wear for all of your driving adventures.
We are all blessed for having had the privilege of knowing someone like Doc.
Safe travels
--Jim the Baritone

thebrewingbaritone said...

Is it really possible to ccok on from your engine heat? Inquiring minds need to know.

Brent

Jerry said...

Brent:

If the A/C goes out, you can cook in the cab down in Texas.