Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Menominee to Lizton

DATELINE: LIZTON, IN

Miles Today: 541 in 10.25 hours driving time (12 total hours on duty)

I hope you're OK with a short update tonight. It's been a long day on the road, and I'm beat, ready for some shut-eye. I do have to admit that I do really prefer daytime driving to the overnight shift, but these long hauls still get tedious. It's remarkable that after 6 hours of driving, when you're already tired of it, you realize that you're just past halfway into your shift. That gets old whether it's daytime or night.

Anyway, everything went well today. I was able to get into my pickup site a little early, swapped trailers (dropped my empty one for a loaded one), and hit the road. The weather was perfect: sunny and nary a cloud in the sky 'til evening when they provided a gorgeous sunset. I managed to find a parking spot at a rest area on I-74 just west of Indianapolis. The problem with starting late in the morning (my pickup today was 11:00 a.m.) is that by the time your shift is ending, the truck stop and rest area truck parking spaces are full. I did pass through a couple of truck stops and left because they were full. But as I was pulling into this rest area, I noticed the brake lights brighten on a trailer, and indeed the truck pulled out. The Lord does provide, eh? (By the way, in case you were wondering, I didn't drive all 11 hours 'cuz I wanted to make sure I had a place to camp out and didn't want to get stuck out on the road violating the DOT regulations again.)

So that's enough for tonight. Have a good day whenever you read this, and keep on truckin'.

1 comment:

Nancy R. said...

Sounds like a long day - but I'm glad it went off without a hitch. Hope you're well-rested for another long day today.