Monday, January 29, 2007

Back on the Horse

DATELINE: VANDALIA, OH

Miles Yesterday: 204
Miles Today: 430

Pardon my silence yesterday; I wasn't in the right frame of mind for reporting, and I didn't have much to report, anyway. I just drove my wounded trailer from just north of Richmond, VA to our terminal in Roanoke. Slow 'n easy was the order of that drive, in order to keep the wind from blowing off the tarp that I had taped (yes, Duct Tape) over the hole. The silver marvel held fast and the patch arrived intact. The shop folks in Roanoke looked at it there (once they finally got to it) and decided:
1. They could not fix it while loaded, and
2. It was not structurally sound enough to continue on its journey.
Which brings us to today.

They had me take the trailer to a company in town that would "transload" the goods on the trailer into another one. (An employee of the terminal hauled the other trailer over.) Once that was complete, I was on my way back here to Vandalia (our Ohio terminal). Since I've used up my allotted 70 hours for the current 8-day period, I can't complete the trip to Green Bay. So I have unhooked, or "dropped" that trailer and another driver will take it to its destination. Now I have to wait 'til the morning to talk with my fleet manager about whether or not I can head home on Tuesday as planned.

About that drive from Roanoke to Vandalia, it includes a stretch of driving that's mighty stressful. Take a look at your map of West Virginia and locate US-35 from I-64 north to the Ohio border. That stretch of road is two lanes (one in each direction), not divided, 55 MPH, winding along the base of the mountains, with very little--when any--shoulder. AND very heavy traffic, including trucks. I had driven it southbound in the daylight on Friday. Tonight I had to drive it northbound in the dark. That drive will keep your attention as your cab bounces along the none-too-smooth roadway, and oncoming headlights mar your ability to see the center line.

But I made it, and now I get to rest. Still no fallout from Saturday's unfortunate incident. If any news comes, I will, of course, let you know.

That's all for now as I am tired. Driving US-35 as described above, plus straining up the VA and WV mountains with a full, heavy load for 9-plus hours does tire a guy out. Thanks, as always, for reading. Please keep your comments coming, as they do brighten my day. And, as always, keep on truckin'.

1 comment:

hrr said...

Glad you were able to take a new load - at least that looks like good news to me. Hope you're able to get back and see your family on schedule.

Oh, and I've driven those types of road through the mountains before. Not fun at night, even in a small car with no trailer.