Saturday, June 9, 2007

Two-A-Days

DATELINE: EFFINGHAM, IL, 7:10 p.m. CDT

Miles Today: 422

Well now, how 'bout this? Two updates in one day! What's this world coming to? OK, enough with the sarcasm. On to today's tale.

Not much to tell, really. I just had a pleasant drive down here in beautiful weather. I made the southward portion of the drive through Indiana (I-69) instead of Ohio (I-75) because Indiana has a higher speed limit for trucks. And it's not Ohio. ;-) One interesting thing that's going on, I keep seeing the same USA truck (besides my own).

It started yesterday on my drive to my delivery in Monroe. I stopped at the Michigan Welcome Center along northbound I-75 around mile marker 10 or so. As I was walking back to my truck after stopping in, I saw another USA truck parking down the row from mine. I noticed its number--'twas an easy one to remember, but I won't reveal it here for privacy. Later, when I reached my evening pickup site, that same truck was in the dock getting loaded. (It's the one I had to wait for before I could back into the same dock.) This morning at the truck stop in Dexter, I saw it parked at the other end of the row from mine. Small world. I then fueled up and left Dexter before the other one. Then this afternoon, just west of Indianapolis, I was leaving another rest area whose exit loops around near the entrance ramp before horseshoeing back onto the freeway. Guess who was pulling up the entrance ramp as I exited? I suspect he's probably headed for the same delivery site that I am.

Speaking of which, it occurs to me that I neglected to mention where I'm headed with this load. It's Columbia, MO, just a bit further west along I-70 than where I started my trek east a couple days ago. Something about this tour of duty has me retracing my steps a lot.

And that's how I've come to be here. Thanks again for dropping by, and keep on truckin'.

No comments: