Sunday, June 24, 2007

Hold-Em Hold It

DATELINE: WEST MEMPHIS, AR, 11:30 a.m. CDT

Miles Yesterday: 300 (plus another 130-ish after midnight before I stopped for the night)

I had a lot of free time yesterday since my pickup time was 8:00 p.m. and I had completed my delivery the day before at 7:15 p.m. I woke up yesterday before 6:00 a.m. after having gone to bed fairly early. My pickup in the evening was about 2-1/2 hours away, so I was planning to get underway at 5:00 p.m., perhaps 4:00 to include a stop at a Flying J en route for fuel and a shower (I'd have to buy at least 50 gallons of fuel to earn a free shower there). But that plan changed just a bit.

Because of my scads of free time, I hit the online poker tables. No-Limit Texas Hold 'Em is my game. I played some (VERY low stakes) cash games and a couple of freeroll (no entry fee) tournaments, with varying results. But all-in-all I came out a bit ahead. My biggest disappointment was my last freeroll tourney. It started at 12:35 and had 3300+ entrants. I knew if I had a good run it would take me close to the time I'd have to start my workday, but it's always good practice. So I entered anyway.

I can't say I was eating the competition alive, but I was hanging on, increasing my chip stack now and then with good hands. I always had less than the average chip stack, but I was playing to survive into the payouts (top 18 places) rather than to score big early. 4:00--my departure time if I wanted to stop for a shower--came and went, and I was still alive, into the top 100. I had 1 hour to complete the tournament one way or another. Naturally, the pace of players getting busted out slowed way down. As 5:00--my departure time--approached, I made it into the top 30. I started preparing to hit the road--getting into my driving clothes (jeans instead of the shorts I'd been wearing all day) and securing my loose gear--while trying to complete the tourney. But the dropout rate was too slow, and I had to give up my quest for the cash (a whole $1 if I made it into 10th through 18th place, up to $10 for 1st place). I had to start going all-in with every hand in an effort to bust out so I could hit the road. It took 2 hands to lose all my chips, and I finished in 24th place. Naturally, my best run in one of these tournaments and I can't finish because of time constraints. :-( I'm sure I would have cashed if I could have stayed in.

So that's my sob story. After that the day was pretty anti-climactic. I made the drive to the pickup, arriving 20 minutes early. The load took about an hour, and I was headed south (I-55 the whole way) at 9:15. My goal for the night was to reach our West Memphis terminal, which was nigh on 300 miles, or 5 hours of steady driving, away. Mission accomplished, though at midnight I had attempted to find a spot in a couple of truck stops, even though I wasn't too terribly tired yet. No luck there, so I pressed on and reached West Mem at 2:15 a.m. By then I was quite tired, so I was soon to bed.

I've had my shower this morning, so I'll be ready to go when my 10-hour break concludes in another half hour. Today I'm headed for Robert, LA, which is just north of Lake Pontchartrain along I-18. I'll probably stop for the night in Hammond, just west of Robert, because there's a truck stop there. My delivery is at 7:15 tomorrow morning, so today's a transition from overnight to daytime driving.

Now it's time for me to get ready to hit the road once more. Thanks for your loyal readership, and keep on truckin'.

No comments: