Friday, June 22, 2007

Another Wait

DATELINE: COLUMBIA, MO, 8:00 p.m. CDT

Miles Today: 364

Just a quick update this time around to let you know how today's delivery went and where I'm headed next, since I composed such a lengthy update earlier today.

The drive from Effingham to my delivery in Columbia was unremarkable, save for rush hour traffic north of St. Louis. I left Effingham just after 2:00 p.m., reached the St. Louis area around 4:00, and my destination at 6:45. This was undoubtedly my fastest live unload, and I was done there at 7:15. I then headed for a truck stop 10 miles away, where I had spent the night the last time I had delivered to the same place 12 days ago. I'll be spending tonight here as well.

My next assignment came in as I was driving to this truck stop (not one of the national chains). Since weekends are light for shipping and receiving activity, I get to wait a bit before picking up the next load. That'll be at 8:00 tomorrow (Saturday) evening in Illinois, just across the big river from Missouri. I'll make the drive over there before the pickup, rather than tonight, because I am still quite tired from too many short nights of sleep. The load is headed for a Monday morning delivery in Louisiana--I still have to plot which part of the state the town is in, so I can't be more specific than that right now--so I'll probably be able to stop for the night relatively early after making the pickup, then haul a** on Sunday to get close to the delivery site. I'll do more complete trip planning tomorrow.

For now, I think I'll just get ready for bed, then get into bed. I'm one tired trucker. Thanks for following my saga, and keep on truckin'.

1 comment:

Nancy R. said...

Whenever you write about Effingham I get this odd feeling that you're discreetly avoiding swearing. Is it really just Effingham?
It would be nice if you could sleep when you need to and drive when you know you're going to be alert. Hope you can rest up today before your night pickup (wait, that sounds a little sleazy).