Sunday, June 10, 2007

Awaiting the Unknown

DATELINE: COLUMBIA, MO, 8:20 p.m. CDT

Miles Today: 234 (so far)

"So far" because I don't know yet if I'm done for the day or not. I made the drive from Effingham to this city (a 4-hour drive), made my delivery, then zipped over to a truck stop just down the highway. I've been waiting for my next assignment for over 2-1/2 hours now, and still no word. I'm guessing that there just aren't any loads that need to go out on a Sunday night, so I won't get one 'til the morning. Still, you'd think they'd be able to at least make the assignment for a morning pickup and send it to me so I can make plans.

In the meantime, I wait. If an assignment comes across, I can still drive 'til 2:00 a.m. (I started my workday at noon today). Or I can wait 'til 4:15 a.m., when I'll have had a 10-hour break since I got here and started waiting. I have been attempting to nap for the last 1-1/2 hours or so, but that wasn't working, so I decided to turn on the ol' laptop and tell y'all about it.

And that's how things stand at this point. Thanks for your loyal readership, and keep on truckin' (and commentin' and askin' questions).

1 comment:

Nancy R. said...

Whoo, how can you stand the excitement? Here's a question: what do you spend more time doing, driving or waiting? You probably don't even want to calculate that one.