Tuesday, June 5, 2007

A Turn Towards the North (of I-40 Anyway)

DATELINE: OAK GROVE, KY, 5:15 p.m. CDT

Miles Today: 495

I'm starting to bump up against my 70-work-hours-in-8-days limit, so I halted today a bit earlier than I would have had I had a full day's hours available. As it was, I had 10 hours to work with, and I came across a Flying J about 45 minutes before hitting the 10-hour mark. Since I'll need a shower in the morning (it's been hot and sweaty down here in the southland), and I have a free one coming from buying fuel at Flying J's, the decision to stop here was automatic.

I got up this morning at 5:30 EDT per my alarm, and was on the road at 6:00. 'Twas another uneventful drive (the best kind) with just a few stops--for a loaded breakfast burrito at a Hardee's in NC, for fuel in Knoxville, and the occasional leg-stretcher. The weather was mostly pleasant--warm & sunny--but a shower did pop up near the end of my drive. The skies here in southwestern Kentucky since I've arrived have been what you'd expect when the forecast calls for possible showers and/or thunderstorms. But no major wetness yet.

I did get a little exercise today. After I parked here, I walked about 1/4 mile up the road--to a Wendy's for a late lunch--and back. On the walk back the sky was a good bit darker than when I set out, and the wind had picked up, so I thought it possible I may have regretted the walk. But it stayed dry, and I returned to my truck for the afternoon's entertainment.

I played some online poker for about 45 minutes, and had some success there. But I realized I'm a bit tired and wasn't concentrating on my game enough to continue without disastrous consequences. However, apparently I'm plenty awake to compose my (nearly) daily drivel for my faithful readers. ;-)

Tomorrow it's on to St. Louis from here (who's gonna meet me in Saint Louie?). That's around 200 miles, and I'll have 8 hours available to get there, drop this load, get my next assignment, and start heading in whatever direction the new load will take me. The next 2 days I'll get back 11 hours each as previous work days roll off the rolling 8-day period. So I'm good to go for paying mileage for the next few days, anyway.

And that's the Reluctant Trucker scoop for today. Thanks for looking in. Don't be a stranger (i.e., send in your questions and comments), and keep on truckin'.

P.S., Those are TASTY burgers they have at Hardee's and Carl's Jr., not TESTY as yesterday's typo suggested. My apologies to those fine establishments.

No comments: