Saturday, April 5, 2008

Windshield Wipers, Slappin' Out a Tempo...

DATELINE: ANTIOCH, TN, 7:45 p.m. CDT

Miles Today: 584

Just another long driving day today, much of it in driving rain. (How appropriate!) But I did make my goal, reaching the Popeye's with a TA here within my allotted 11 hours of driving time for today. I actually made it with 1/2 hour to spare, even.

I've been to this locale a few times before, so I know it as a TA with one of the smaller parking lots. When I arrived at 4:00 p.m., only a few parking spots were still open. But I didn't need 'em all, so I nabbed one. After parking, I headed inside for my "traditional" Popeye's dinner: the 2-piece meal, spicy, with a biscuit and side dish. The side varies depending on what's available at the specific location. Here it's the Chicken & Sausage Jambalaya. After that, I checked out the TV room and stayed for the movie they were showing: "The Chronicles of Riddick" on TNT. After that was the first 30 minutes of "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" before someone requested a switch to the Final Four game. I woulda' been interested in staying for that, but it has been a long day and I need some sleep (and to write up this captivating report).

Boy, lately I've gotten in the habit of starting off these updates with how my day ended before telling you about how it started. I must be subconsciously observing the journalistic inverted pyramid style. Anyway, I just couldn't get up when my alarm sounded at 4:00 (EDT) this morning, and finally woke up at 5:22. I just did what was necessary to get myself started, and hit the road at 5:45. After that, all I did was drive except for the usual stops every couple of hours or so, including a fuel stop and lunch break in Jackson, GA.

Tomorrow I'll be up early once more, this time to make the trek to the Chicago area. I'll most likely stop in Gary, IN where there's a cluster of truck stops along I-94, and which is sufficiently close to Calumet City, IL, where I'll be delivering this load Monday morning.

And that's all I have to say about that. (Name that quote! I think I remembered it correctly. Fame and glory to the first person to submit a comment with the correct reference.) Thanks for reading today, and keep on truckin'.