Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Trekking East

DATELINE: SCRANTON, PA, 7:00 p.m. EDT

Miles Today: 536

First things first: Apologies to reader dennis the accompanist. I was looking at the wrong day's update when chastising you for mis-reading the numbers. You were referring to my typo in Saturday's edition (since corrected) and I was thinking you saw something in Sunday's. Sorry for the mixup and public correction. 30 wet-noodle lashes for me. Now back to your regularly-scheduled program.

Beautiful day today, sunny and warm. The driving was fast and easy as I made it all the way across Ohio and most of Pennsylvania in 9 hours of driving. I could have continued on and cleared PA, too by driving on another 2 hours, but it wasn't necessary. My delivery tomorrow morning is at 11:00, and only about 3 hours away, so I'll have plenty of time in the morning to finish the trip. Besides, once I'm done with the delivery, I'll just about have reached my 70-hours-in-8-days limit (I'll have about 5 for tomorrow), so I wasn't going to get far after delivering tomorrow, anyway, whether I used up the hours today or tomorrow. (Was that clear for y'all? Understand what I'm trying to explain?) Besides, had I continued out of the Keystone state, I'd have finished up in NY or CT, 2 states with anti-idling laws. The weather is perfect, so I probably won't need to run my engine for climate control in the cab anyway, but it's good to have the option in case the temperature drops.

And now I'm at the Petro in Scranton, having arrived at about 5:00 local time. I've stayed here once before, a few months back on my first venture into New England as a trucker. This time I finally have a rewards card for the Petro chain, fueled up at a Petro around Toledo today, so I have a shower credit to clean up with tomorrow morning. Always a good idea on delivery days.

And that's that for today. Thanks for dropping by, keep those questions and comments coming, and keep on truckin'.

No comments: