Thursday, April 3, 2008

Morning Panhandling

DATELINE: WILDWOOD, FL, 5:00 p.m. EDT

Miles Today: 521

Blog, then bed. But I doubt I'll be able to sleep for quite a while yet. Y'see, I need to get up at 1:00 a.m. so I can make my 3:00 delivery tomorrow. But I've only been up today for about 12 hours now (since 4:00 a.m. CDT) and I'm not all that tired yet. Perhaps I can head out and take a walk for a while to sap my energy in the Florida heat (my cab thermostat says it's 91 out there), but that may depend on if the rain holds off--the skies are pretty dark right now. But first I gotta' tell y'all about my day.

Like I noted, I got up at 4:00. The first order of business was a shower and shave, which I got out of the way quickly. I was on the road by 4:45, and most of the rest of my work day was just drive, drive, drive. I made a brief stop for a quick bite in Mossy Head, FL, and a fuel stop in Ocala. Other than quick rest stops every couple of hours, I was behind the wheel churnin' up the blacktop.

I arrived here in Wildwood (just a bit south of Ocala) at 4:00 EDT. I did lose an hour today because of crossing into the Eastern time zone, so I have just enough time for my 10-hour break before I need to get going tomorrow morning. I'll get up at 1:00 so I can get in a shower and quick breakfast before rolling at 2:00. I stopped here because I noticed in my reference materials that there's a Popeye's Chicken with a TA truck stop here. 'Nuff said.

That about covers my day. Nothing exciting. Well, this morning was a bit rainy, then quite foggy across much of the FLA panhandle. But by noon the skies had cleared up completely. Then, as the afternoon wore on, the clouds built up and off-and-on rain began. I'm not sure if that's the normal FLA afternoon raininess, or a weather front I had run out from under this morning that has caught back up. But who cares? I'm (hopefully) gonna' be sleeping through it soon, anyway.

Thanks for getting your truckin' fix from me today. Drop me a line, and keep right on a-truckin'.

1 comment:

Nancy R. said...

Mmm, Popeye's. I'm getting a vicarious fast-food fix from your blog, you know. Even vegetarians fantasize sometimes...

Well, I hope you can get outside some. But it's just not central Florida without that later afternoon thundershower.