Saturday, April 12, 2008

Saturday Surprise

DATELINE: DEXTER, MI, 6:20 p.m. EDT

Miles Today: 519

An unexpected treat to end the week, I get to stop by home early! Here's how it all came about.

I started out this morning at the company's terminal in Vandalia, OH. I got rolling at 5:45 (EDT), heading for our drop yard in Blue Island, IL. My assignment was to drop my current load there, a load bound for Eagan, MN. I couldn't take that load all the way to its destination because I'm due to start my next period of home time on Monday, the day that load is scheduled for delivery. Hence the dropoff in Chicagoland.

I reached Blue Island at 10:00 (CDT), dropped the trailer, and sent in my "Arrived at Final" and "Empty Call" messages. A while later I got a response. Dispatch sent me a message saying that the load was not set up for dropping in B.I., and that I'd have to deliver it. Sheesh! More troubles with the weekend Dispatch crew. I politely replied that I'd been told since before I even picked up the load to take it to B.I., and that I was due home on Monday. After another long while they finally let me know (after I prompted them for a status update) that they were setting up that load as a drop, and that I'd be getting another assignment.

At noon (CDT) I finally did get that next assignment: grab another load that had been dropped there and take it to its delivery on Monday morning (3:30 a.m.) in Monroe, MI. Hoo-Boy! I had enough hours remaining in my daily allotment to drive to my "home truck stop" in Dexter, MI, so I quickly hooked up that new trailer and got a-rollin'. I also called Mrs. R.T. to give her the bad news that she'd have to see me a couple days early. ;-)

It was a rainy drive back home. I'd been in some real nice spring weather the last few days, so it was a shock this morning on my drive to B.I. when I stopped just north of Indianapolis for a quick break and it was COLD! So it's spring as we know it in the upper Midwest, eh? Anyway, I made it here to the Dexter TA at 5:30 (EDT), fueled up, and parked. I got a good spot close to the entrance to the Popeye's Chicken, so all's well with the world.

Since my delivery appointment isn't 'til Monday morning, I'll be spending all day Sunday parked here, unfortunately not driving any paying miles. But I'm ready for a stationary day, although I will be doing some running around tomorrow. I'll get to go to church in the morning, and to Measure for Measure's rehearsal in the evening. Add in an errand or two, and it'll still be somewhat of a busy day for a "day off".

Mrs. R.T. has to work tonight, so I won't see her 'til near midnight. But that gives me time to write y'all this report. Next I may take a nap, or I may hit the poker tables online. Not sure yet. Somewhere in that interim I may get hungry, so I'll have to roust up some dinner somewhere. (I wonder where.)

Thanks for looking in today. Send in your comments, and keep on truckin'.

1 comment:

Jerry said...

Let me know if you need a ride to or from Dexter or Romulus.

Also, if the timing ever works out, I can meet you in Vandalia for a Dayton Dragons game.