Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Loads of Fun on 81

DATELINE: SCRANTON, PA, 7:00 p.m. EST

Miles Today: 400

Just another leisurely, 400-mile drive today, along I-81 the whole way. And boy, was the weather ever gorgeous, too! Who'd ever thing I could be walking around in jeans and a T-shirt in January in Pennsylvania? Yowza! But that's gonna change real quick.

The weather forecast calls for a cold front to move in ("barrel in" sounds more accurate) after midnight tonight, bringing rain--possible thunderstorms--and high wind tomorrow. Good thing I get to drive through twisty mountain roads tomorrow, huh?

I have about 225 miles to go to my delivery, which is scheduled for Thursday morning. I've asked my Fleet Manager how early I can make the delivery since I can easily get there tomorrow. He checked with the company and word is they can try to fit me in tomorrow, depending on how busy they are. So I'll just go ahead and show up and hope for the best. I guess it's best I make tracks before the weather does get cold and these mountain highways get icy.

I've stopped for the night at a Petro Travel Center in the Scranton area. I arrived here at about 4:00 this afternoon after starting out from Roanoke at 7:00 a.m. or so. Along the way I stopped for lunch in Greencastle, PA, (at an Arby's across the street from a TA that provided the parking space) then for fuel and a shower at the Flying J in Carlisle, PA. Since the weather was so nice, I took the opportunity after arriving here in Scranton to take a good walk around the truck stop's big lot. I walked for 25 minutes or so, then headed into my truck once the sun was getting low and the air cooler.

So that was my day. I've already mentioned my plan for tomorrow. If that plan works out, I should have a new assignment and be headed somewhere else that I can tell--er, write--you all about in tomorrow's update. Thanks yet again for reading my drivel. Send me some of your own, ;-) and keep on truckin'.

No comments: