Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Home, Ever So Briefly

DATELINE: HOME

Miles Monday: 409

I guess I'd better take some time to let you know that I did get home on Monday. I've been busy since, and still have much to do before heading back to the truck tomorrow (Thursday) morning. But first, here's how my Monday went.

I got up early enough for a shower before hitting the road at 6:15. It only took me 45 minutes to reach my first delivery in Loveland, OH. The customer was an electrical supply company, and it had no loading dock. So I just pulled into the driveway alongside their building and they unloaded their portion of the load from the ground. Then, to get out, I had to back into the lot in front of the building, avoiding the corner of the roof overhang and parked cars and trucks. I couldn't just back out onto the street 'cuz that was a busy, two-lane state highway. But it wasn't too bad, as I took it nice 'n slow backing into the front lot, then out.

Next up was the drive to my next (and last) delivery in Columbus. That drive, including a fuel stop en route, took me 2-3/4 hours, and I arrived there at 10:30. That place had a loading dock, one of those indoor ones where I had to back into the building. But they had plenty of room to line up in front, so it wasn't difficult at all.

I was done there and on my way home at noon. My Fleet Manager had let me know that they wouldn't have me pick up a load to take north, so my "vacation" (or earned time off) started right then, at noon, and I'd spend the first few hours of it driving home. I actually got home at about 8:00 p.m.

A time-off reminder tutorial: Company policy for drivers is one day off for each 7 days on the road. On this last tour of duty, I was deployed for 27 days. Of course, since that wasn't 28 days, I only earned 3 days off. And, naturally, "3 days" equates to 72 hours (more or less), so I'm due back on Thursday at noon. And I'll actually go back early in the morning so I can get the work day started--and over with--earlier. So my actual time at home will less than 60 hours. :-( And, of course, I have plenty to do in those few hours, especially now that it's tax time.

Speaking of tax time, I need to get back to working on my returns, (personal and business), so it's time to wrap up this report. Thanks for checking up on me. Send me your questions and comments, and keep on truckin'.

No comments: