Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Just Another Work Day

DATELINE: RAPHINE, VA, 6:30 a.m. EDT

Miles Yesterday: 372

Not much to tell about yesterday. After posting my update to this blog, I got myself ready for work and hit the road. Then I just drove 'til I got here (well, with a few short stops along the way). Nothing remarkable about the drive at all. "Here" is a non-chain truck stop alongside I-81. After I parked I did some shopping in their convenience store, heated up some grub for dinner, signed on and checked my e-mail, then went to bed good and early. My insufficient sleep the last few left me quite tired early last night.

So now I'll move on and reply to reader Jim the Baritone's question, "A few times you have mentioned that your truck has a max governed speed of 63 mph. Is that common? I see many trucks going a heck of a lot faster than that, like passing me when I am already doing 75."

I don't know if other companies put speed governors on their trucks or not, but obviously many do not. The majority of trucks go flying on by me as I'm puttering on down the road. Also note that the governors do not restrict the truck's speed as it's giving in to gravity on downhill stretches, especially long, steep ones when the truck has a heavy load. That's when we can really make up time. ;-)

Well, that's all I can come up with to include in this update. Have a great day, thanks for looking in, and keep on truckin'.

1 comment:

Nancy R. said...

Here's a question for you: what would the ideal truck stop look like? What amenities and services do you appreciate the most when you're stopping for the night? And do you have a favorite truck stop? (The one in Dexter doesn't count.)