Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Back to Work Once More

DATELINE: MT. PLEASANT, IL, 10:00 p.m. CDT

Miles Today: 548

Well, gang, I'm back in the truck and on the road. I tell ya', I need to hit the road so I can get some rest after being home for a couple days. Because my time at home is always so short, I always have lots to do in that time and wind up getting too little sleep. So during my first couple days back on the road each time I'm always a bit fatigued and ready for bed when I stop for the night. Tonight's no different.

I'm at a rest area along southbound I-57 in Illinois, about 31 miles from the Missouri state line. I had gotten back to my truck a little after 6:30 this morning (many thanks to Mrs. R.T. for the ride over there), and didn't get my assignment 'til about 8:30 a.m. My mission: Make a pickup at a company in Kalamazoo, MI, at 10:45 and take the load to La Porte, TX (just east of Houston). Delivery is due Thursday morning--I have less than 48 hours to make the trip--so I gotta make tracks to get there on time. So today after the pickup I just drove for many hours to get this far. And tomorrow will be all about driving fast and far, too. Hopefully I'll get some restful sleep tonight and have some energy at the end of the day to tell you about it.

By the way, I didn't get home last weekend 'til Saturday; I did wind up spending Friday night at a rest area outside of Terre Haute, IN. I had to make my load swap on Friday in Mt. Vernon, IL, about an hour south of Effingham, where the plan had been to make the swap. But at least I got some more miles out of the deal.

Well, it has been a long day after a short night of sleep, so I'm going to wrap up here. Thanks for checking in on me, and please keep checking back and sending me some comments and questions. And keep on truckin'.

1 comment:

Nancy R. said...

Hey, Mrs. R. T.'s back online. And I'm not so sure I'm happy about it. My my my, are you just going to complain about being home? Well, get some more sleep now that you're back in the truck. And haul on back here once you're rested enough.