Tuesday, September 25, 2007

A Day in Virginny

DATELINE: TOMS BROOK, VA, 7:00 p.m. EDT

Miles Today: 233

Kind of a short work day today, but I had a couple of challenging deliveries. What made them challenging was the configuration of their docks in relation to nearby obstacles, such as concrete barriers, other trucks, employee parking areas, etc. Plus I had to approach both from the blind side (angled with the passenger side of the truck closer to the dock, rather than the driver's side). But I did manage to get into both without hitting anything, though I did tire out my left leg from lots of clutch work.

After my second delivery, I hopped over to the HESS/WILCO truck stop in this town, just a few miles down I-81 from the delivery site. My intent was to get my next assignment then head that way, assuming the pickup would be either tonight or in the morning somewhere far enough away that I'd have to do some driving to get close. I did still have over 6 hours of driving I could have done today. However, when the assignment came in and I had time to find the pickup site on the map, I determined that spending the night here would be the best bet.

My pickup is at 7:00 tomorrow morning in Parsons, WV. My load assignment says it's over 250 miles from here (I'll get paid those "empty miles" to get there), but after finding it on the map, I saw it's really more like 80 to 100 miles away. It would be 250+ miles if I took the interstates to get there: I-81 north to I-68, west to I-79, south to US-33, east to US219, and north to Parsons. That would be like taking 3-1/3 sides of a rectangle. However, from where I am now (I-81 exit 291 for those of you who are "atlas-tically" inclined), I can take "back road" highways over the remaining 2/3 of one side of the rectangle. Besides, if I went the long way, I'd never have time to make the drive and get in my requisite 10-hour break before having to get to the pickup. By using the straighter route I'll get up early and hit the road around 3:30 a.m. just to ensure I'm on time. So I'll be getting to sleep right after finishing this report. (I'm still a bit fatigued from my earlier short nights, despite a good long sleep last night.)

Before signing off, I'll take time to answer reader nancyr's query, "Here's a question for you: what would the ideal truck stop look like? What amenities and services do you appreciate the most when you're stopping for the night? And do you have a favorite truck stop? (The one in Dexter doesn't count.)"

For those of you who haven't caught on, reader nancyr is Mrs. Reluctant Trucker. That's why she disqualifies the truck stop near our house from consideration as my favorite. But otherwise, here are some things that IMHO make a truck stop ideal:
1. A nice, BIG parking lot with wide aisles between the rows of parking (I've been in some that have barely enough room between the rows to be able to squeeze a truck in or out of a parking space.
2. Several food choices (e.g., its own restaurant plus a few fast food outlets either on-site or within easy walking distance)
3. Clean, large rest rooms and showers
4. A well-stocked convenience store

As for my favorite truck stop, that would have to be the TA/Iowa 80, the "World's Largest Truck Stop" on I-80 in Walcott, IA. I've written about it here before, and it does meet all of the above criteria and more: an 800+-space parking lot; Wendy's, Taco Bell, Dairy Queen, and a sit-down restaurant on-site; very nice rest rooms and shower rooms; and lots of retail space (a convenience mart, truck supplies store, other various and sundry knick-knacks). Make your next vacation trip that way and check it out for yourself.

One thing it doesn't have--and no truck stop I've been to so far has one--that I would like immensely is an exercise room. That's what's sorely missing in the truck stop industry, places for us professional drivers to keep in shape.

Well, it's time now to get to bed. Thanks for taking a glance at my (near) daily reports, and keep on truckin'.

2 comments:

hrr said...

Here's a question:
I know that big rigs like yours are manual transmission. Did you know how to drive one before, or was that part of your truck driving school curriculum? Assuming you didn't before, how long did it take you to get comfortable using the clutch on something that big?

Jim Robertson said...

Where is Trucker John?