Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Completing a BIG Circle

DATELINE: BOLINGBROOK, IL, 5:45 p.m. CST

Wow! 2 more days without unwelcome developments. Well, except for not getting home on time AGAIN. But at least this time I'm not missing any specific event. Anyway, here's the skinny on my past 2 days.

Yesterday morning I got up and drove 4 hours to make my delivery in Vonore, TN, south of Knoxville. That went fine, except for a wild goose chase my Fleet Manager sent me on. He wanted me to scout the customer's yard looking for a specific trailer that he was led to believe was there. It, naturally, wasn't. After I informed him of that and he asked me to check again, and I did that and replied with the same news, he found out that it was actually at a different location. 'Twould be nice if he could get proper info to begin with before involving me.

Anyway, after that delivery (an easy drop-and-hook), I had about a 2-hour wait for my next assignment. That was to head west to LaVergne, TN, just south of Nashville, to pick up a load and haul it up here to the Chicagoland area. So the drive to LaVergne and the pickup--another D&H--also were easy. That left me just a couple hours of my daily 14-hour window to get started north and find refuge for the night. That wound up being a Pilot in Franklin, KY. I was hoping to make it a bit farther, but rush-hour traffic tie-ups in Nashville slowed me down.

This morning started early again (up at 4:00 to hit the shower) for the long drive up here. (Actually, the delivery was in Woodridge.) I'd delivered to this customer a couple of times before, so I knew it'd be another D&H and I wasn't worried about arriving early. My load assignment said the delivery appointment was 4:00 this afternoon; I arrived by 2:30. After dropping the loaded trailer where instructed and finding the lone empty USA Truck trailer in their yard, I bopped over to a non-name-brand truck stop 4 miles down the highway (I-55). By the time I got here, my 14-hour work window for the day was down to about 2-1/2 hours, so if I was going to get a new assignment for a pickup today, it'd have to come soon for me to be able to make it. Well, we're now down to under an hour left---well, whaddaya know, my assignment just now came in.

My pickup is at 7:00 tomorrow morning in Mishawaka, IN, then delivers at noon in Archbold, OH, coincidentally enough at the same company where I picked up the load down to Vonore. HOPEFULLY that'll be close enough to home that Dispatch'll just let me head home from there instead of making me (wait for and) get another load. (I was supposed to get home today.) Check back tomorrow to find out.

Well, now that I know what I'm doing next, I can leave the truck and get me some dinner. Good thing, 'cuz I'm-a getting hungry. That pretty much wraps up today's tale. Thanks for dropping by. Don't be shy; send in some comments and questions about my exciting, luxurious life out here on the road. And keep on truckin'.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Something fun for you to read...

Yesterday I was at my local Wal-Mart buying a large bag of
Purina dog chow for my loyal pet, Biscuit, the Wonder Dog
and was in the checkout line when woman behind me asked if I
had a dog.
What did she think I had, an elephant? So since I'm retired
and have little to do, on impulse I told her that no, I
didn't have a dog, I was starting the Purina Diet again. I
added that I probably shouldn't, because I ended up in the
hospital last time, but that I'd lost 50 pounds before I
awakened in an intensive care ward with tubes coming out of
most of my orifices and IVs in both arms.
I told her that it was essentially a perfect diet and that
the way that it works is to load your pants pockets with
Purina nuggets and simply eat one or two every time you feel
hungry. The food is nutritionally complete so it works well
and I was going to try it again. (I have to mention here
that practically everyone in line was now enthralled with my
story.) Horrified, she asked if I ended up in intensive care
because the dog fo od poisoned me. I told her no, I stepped
off a curb to sniff an Irish Setter's butt and a car hit us
both. I thought the guy behind her was going to have a
heart attack he was laughing so hard. Wal-Mart won't let me
shop there anymore.
Better watch what you ask retired people. They have all the
time in the world to think of crazy things to say.