Thursday, October 11, 2007

Meet Me in St. Louie, Louie

DATELINE: VINITA, OK, 10:40 p.m. CDT

Miles Today: 493

Boy, I should be more tireder than I am now, considering I got up at 4:30 this mawnin' after a short night o' sleep, then put in a 14-hour work day. (Well, it was only 10-1/2 hours of work, but over a 14-hour period.) Then, after parking here, I went online and played some more poker. I'll probably feel the fatigue tomorrow, though. But enough about my sleep deprivation, let's get on to how the day went.

As I mentioned, I was up good 'n early, then on the road at 5:00. I reached my delivery site by 6:15; just a little early, which is good. I wrote yesterday that I had fears about the tiny lot/docks area at the site, but those fears had no basis today. True, it was still the same small lot, but I was the first truck there and the dock they had me back into was wide open--no other trucks/trailers in the adjoining docks to back around. That made it much easier. Unloading went very quickly, then the only quasi-difficult part came.

The company is having their side parking lot re-built, and today was the day the cement trucks came to pour the lot's surface. Not a problem for getting into the docks area, but the cement trucks had to get to the new lot via the driveway I needed to use to exit. So I had to wait a bit 'til they moved out of my way.

While I was waiting, my next assignment message came in: drive over to Arlington, TX and pick up a load bound for 2 drop-offs in Illinois. So I checked my map, found my route, and headed Arlington way.

My pickup was scheduled for 10:00 a.m., but I got there and checked in at about 7:45. This was a drop-and-hook pickup but, unfortunately, they hadn't loaded the new trailer yet. So I parked the empty trailer I had brought with me where they had indicated, unhooked it, then parked my cab and waited. I did some paperwork, some reading ("Full Tilt Poker Strategy Guide, Tournament Edition"--a good book if you're interested in improving your poker game), and some puzzles in a copy of Games magazine I have with me.

They had told me they'd come get me when the trailer was loaded and ready for me. But long about 10:20 or so, I was still waiting. I went in to check on the load's progress. It took the shipping clerk a few attempts to find the proper paperwork, and lo and behold the load was indeed complete and ready to roll. So I hooked up the trailer to my truck and hit the road.

This load doesn't deliver 'til Monday, 4 days hence, and it's only a 2-day drive, so I'll be dropping this trailer at our drop yard in St. Louis on Friday, whenever I can get there. It's still a goodly long drive across Missouri (~300 miles), so I'll use a good portion of my allotted driving hours tomorrow to get there. But I should have enough left to go get another load afterwards.

Anyway, after making the pickup in Arlington, I headed north on I-35 to Oklahoma City, where I picked up I-44 and am taking that northeast to St. Looie. Portions of this highway are turnpike, and I've stopped for the night at a service plaza along the 'pike. I had figured early in my drive that I'd reach here just about as my 14-hour work window was closing, and I was just about dead-on; I made it with 5 minutes to spare.

As I mentioned, after parking (and grabbing dinner at the McDonald's here built over the roadway) I went online to hit the virtual felt. Lately I've found a new favorite game at Full Tilt Poker--the 6-handed Sit-n-Go tournaments. (No-Limit Texas Hold-em, of course.) They go a little faster than the normal 9-handed SnGs, and I think I play a little better at a short-handed (fewer players) table. Not that my luck's any better, as I've been taking an infuriatingly large number of bad beats and suck-outs, and had some long stretches of being card-dead. (If you're not up on poker terminology, I apologize for this deviation from trucking talk. But that's what I feel like touching on right now.) But I do generally last a good long while in each, unless the bad luck hits early.

Back to trucking, reader Dennis the Accompanist inquired about my least favorite intersection/interchange to drive through. (Check his comment after yesterday's post for his exact wording.) I can't think of any one specific place that I "regularly" encounter, but there was one place around Newark that blew my mind. I've only driven that stretch once, but it was a "Spaghetti Junction" with entrance and exit ramps coming and going this way and that, and narrow, potholed roadbeds. I almost read-ended another truck that had stopped completely (all the other traffic was flowing at normal speeds) in order to cross to a ramp. And the signs in the area were confusing, to boot. (A couple different streets with similar names.) So I hope I don't have to go back there.

Well now, it's getting later and later, and I do believe I am now starting to get a bit tired. So I'll wrap this up and say, "Good night!" Thanks once more for following along, drop me a comment, and keep on truckin'.

1 comment:

Nancy R. said...

Here's another question for you. You've been driving these roads for a while now. Imagine you've been blindfolded and just dropped on a highway, anywhere. Take off the blindfold. How look would it take you to figure out where you are? Just by the scenery and terrain, not the road signs. I'm sure some places you could figure out quickly, and some would take you a while. What areas are the most distinctive - the ones you could figure out in a flash? And which places look just like every place else?