Saturday, October 27, 2007

Makin' Tracks Outta' Texas

DATELINE: WEST MEMPHIS, AR, 6:15 p.m. CDT

Miles Today: 609

Nothing much exciting today, just a L-O-N-G drive through Texas and across Arkansas. The roads were clear the whole way and I made good time, keeping the pedal to the metal. Since I wasn't under a deadline and really not in any hurry, I did take time to stop a couple of times for bites to eat, to fuel up my truck, and once more for a nap.

My day did start earlier than I had planned, though. I was going to sleep in this morning because I would just be terminal-hopping today and tomorrow. But I woke up around 4:00 and couldn't get back to sleep. So I figured I'd just get going at 5:15, when I'd completed my requisite 10-hour break. Besides, it's pleasant driving in the early morning, catching the sunrise. I've seen doozies these past 2 days: the sky has been completely clear both days, and the Texas landscape has offered unobstructed 360-degree views of the horizon. So I could see the sky slowly changing color in advance of the sun peeking above the horizon, something we don't see in Michigan. True, it wasn't as dramatic as clouds reflecting the many colors of a sunrise or sunset, but still pretty cool.

Well, it's been a long day and my dinner's ready, so it's time to sign off. Thanks for stopping by, and keep on truckin'.

1 comment:

Nancy R. said...

I'm glad that you got to see something beautiful out on the road. At least we still see the same sun and moon - keep watching them as they put on their shows, and I'll do the same.