Sunday, July 8, 2012

Middlin' Start

Dateline: Amarillo, TX

I just got this blog re-started, and already I've skipped a couple of days. I can see it's going to be some work on my part to make this a habit, a regular part of my day. Oh well, that's part of lifestyle change, isn't it? But let's move on from this self-flagellation, shall we?

So far I've had mixed results in my efforts to get myself to get some more exercise and eat better. I have been doing some walking every day--at least an hour each day so far--and my legs are feeling tired today in response. (The bad part about having the time to get in long walks every day is, as a truck driver, it means I'm not moving as many miles each day as I could. And since I get paid by the mile...well, you get the idea.) And I have been eating less for the most part, though I'm still not always making the healthiest of choices. But let's recap.

Friday was an all-burrito day.  (And mostly a wasted day as far as the job goes. It took all day to get our pickup straightened out, so we wound up staying another night in Denver, but this time at a truck stop across the highway from the one where we started the day.) I had breakfast burrito (with eggs, cheese, sausage, green chiles, potatoes, onions, & peppers) from the truck stop where we spent the night. Boy, that was pretty tasty for a pre-made (but not frozen) burrito. I just wonder what the caloric damage was. Lunch was a chicken burrito from the Green Burrito section of a Carl's Jr. menu at another truck stop outside of Denver. For dinner I wound up back at the same Qdoba as the night before, once again ordering a chicken fajita burrito. That, of course, necessitated another good walk from the truck stop to get to it, so I'm calling that day pretty good as far as my new fitness regime goes.

Yesterday (Saturday) we finally got to hit the road again, heading south to Amarillo, TX. We stopped for breakfast en route at a small truck stop with a Wendy's, and I had a Fire Roasted Burrito and small side of seasoned breakfast potatoes. For lunch--and a late lunch at that, around 3:00--I finally broke the burrito binge and got me some wings and a salad at Amarillo's Buffalo Wild Wings location. Although that was a bit more food than I should be eating on my new plan, well, I am still weak of will at times. Besides, most of it was a SALAD! And that meal held up through the rest of the day, 'til after 10:00 when I just got too hungry to go to bed hungry. So I snagged a hot dog from the truck stop we're staying at (a Flying J). After lunch I did go for a good walk of about 3-1/2 miles, down to the famous Big Texan Steak Ranch and back, with a break there to re-hydrate a bit. Again, all-in-all not too bad of a day, though there is room for improvement.

This morning my student and I hiked back to the Big Texan for their breakfast buffet. This time I did overeat for sure: an omelet with ham, bacon, onions, green peppers, and cheese; some skillet potatoes; and a cheese enchilada. Even with the walk there and back, I hope to find some energy in my legs today to get a little bit of a run in to burn off that breakfast.

So that's where things stand at the moment. A so-so start to my new habits, but I'm pleased that I have started. I hope to keep building on my resolve and my discipline to keep it up and get back into my skinny jeans one day. I look forward to feeling light on my feet again.

Thanks for reading today. Feel free to share your stories of weight-loss successes and temporary setbacks. I hope those of us who need to shed a pound or two (or two dozen) can support each other along the way. See you on down the road.

No comments: